I went to Milan, Italy last week and asked the lady at the front desk at my hotel for a map. Below is what she handed me.
My Italy Tourist Map
Notice anything weird about this map?
It shows me a BIG swans of exactly where the Swarovski stores are located.
Do you think Swarovski is in the map business? No, they are in the expensive crystal business and they want to target tourists to come and buy crystals from their store. This is deliberate tourist attracting marketing from Swarovski, here is what I’m thinking there train of thought was:
1. Our best customers are tourists
2. Tourist need maps
3. Maps are handed to tourists in hotels
4. Lets give “Swarovski” maps to all hotels so they can give it to the tourists
If you want toursits to find you – Just Give Them a Map!
Pretty Brilliant, right?
So, Why are Tourists their best customers?
1. Tourists have money – If you have money to go on vacation, you have money to buy crystals
2. Tourists have time, they don’t have really anything to do
3. Tourists want to shop, and bring back a “souvenir”
What do you think of this strategy? Love it… or hate it. I wanna know – tell me below.
PS. Swarovski wasn’t the only one using maps. Your good ol’ pal McDonalds was too.