≡ Menu

Educational Marketing at its Finest – the SquattyPotty

squatty potty logo

How to sell a ton of Squatty Potty’s:

Step 1: Educate people about something they are doing wrong

Step 2: Provide medical facts

Step 3: Show a low priced product on how you can solve what they are doing wrong. (The word “wrong” is of course a matter of opinion but when you add medical studies and historical evidence the pitch becomes extremely persuasive.)

Check out their convincing educational video and tell me you aren’t convinced:

This reminds me of how the tooth paste become a common household item. They put up billboards saying “lick your teeth” if you feel some grime then you probably need to clean them with some toothpaste.

Phillips, 1942 Commercial:

The next step for SquattyPotty would be to mention that you will smell less making women more attracted to you.

Update (this is awesome, the folks over at SquattyPotty said this):

What are some other good examples of Educational Marketing?

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Ricky February 19, 2014, 1:36 PM

The biggest problem with it is that it is embarrassing – so no one wants to really say they have a SquattyPotty

• Rishi Shah February 19, 2014, 1:40 PM

Yeah it is embarrassing. It definitely has to go main stream to be widely accepted. It will take a good 10-20 years before that happens and a ton of advertising. I wish they could afford a superbowl commercial.

• Rehan March 7, 2014, 8:39 PM

Actually, I love telling people that I own a SquattyPotty and I’m not embarrassed at all. It’s a life changing product and I think word of mouth referrals will really drive their growth. It’s the best $25 I’ve ever spent. Honesty, I’m writing this while using the SquattyPotty and couldn’t be happier.

• Rishi Shah March 8, 2014, 6:02 PM

hahahaha Rehan you da man. Take a selfie for me the next time 😉

• Nick February 20, 2014, 11:00 AM

they not only win over their audience b/c of their convincing words, but also b/c of their excellent video – it visualizes the information that the studies say, and makes it very digestible

• Rishi Shah February 20, 2014, 11:08 AM

That is so true! It definetely would not have worked without that video. I love how they show you a motion graphic of how your body digestive track works

Read previous post:
The Rise of Hand Drawn Art

Basecamp.com is one of the most copied SaaS landing pages, so when I see a new design on their site,...